Wrap It Up starts off with the mere mention that the days of the White House Correspondents’ Dinner should no longer be an event that it has become. Why? Well, in an attempt at humor, it takes itself too seriously. As for many members of the press, the line between biased and unbiased shows way too much.
– Oprah Winfrey will enter the Illinois Broadcasters Hall of Fame. It’s about time.
– A sign of the times shows when you look at the attendance at ballparks these days. A lot of empty seats.
1. “Fast and Furious” – $86 million
2. “Rio” – $14.4 million
3. “Big Happy Family” – $10 million
Source: Box Office Mojo
Notes: “Rio” settles for second place after a crushing performance by “Fast and Furious” over the weekend. The midnight showings alone proved as a good barometer as for predictions of a stellar weekend for this installment. No doubt, the biggest opening of the year so far. Meanwhile, it seems as if many stayed away from “Prom” and “Hoodwinked 2.” In its second week, Tyler Perry’s new flick dropped alomost 60 percent, so the bulk of its audience went the first week. But get this. Even though “Fast and Furious” had a huge opening, “Hop” still played on more screens. The there is a film called “Cave of Forgotten Dreams, which was in five theaters and average a whopping $25,400 per screen. To get an idea of a comparison, “Fast and Furious” nabbed a fantastic $22,950 per theater, making it a runway hit. On opening day alone it grabbed $34 million. The all-time opening day record is a mere $72.2 million for “The Twilight Saga: New Moon.”
– With all the data breeches are you sure you want all those medical records online? Going paperless not always a good idea.
– Richard Rushfield has a new book “American Idol: The Untold” story tells us what really happens of the hit show, warts and all.since the show is still the top-rated broadcast on the tube, this will surely turn some heads.And look for it to reiterate many of the things we have said all along about this mind-numbing program.
– Meanwhile, you may run into Fraiser while in Chicago these days since he is shooting a TV pilot. Of course, that would be Kelsey Grammer.
– The trailer is out for “Transfomers: Dark of the Moon” and after viewing it I can’t help but notice the destruction of Chicago and the fact that an extra was seriously injured when filming. It doesn’t make me want to see it at all.
– As for a revoloution, you can start it without me, Jamie Oliver. You are bumped again.