Didier Drogba, Samuel Eto’o, and Emmanuel Adebayor are some of the most premier soccer players currently in Europe. These three and numerous amounts of other talented African players play all around the world. African players have continued to become dominate soccer players and everyone has been counting down the years as to when exactly an African team will take the World Cup. In my opinion, the day for an African national team to rise is coming very soon. The continent of Africa has too much talent for one team not to dominate straight through the Cup. Here is my list in descending order and reasons why one of these three teams will be the 2014 World Cup champion.
- The Positive- Although “The Indomitable Lions” have the super talented Samuel Eto’o and Pierre Webo, the rest of the team is known as just average to unknown players to the soccer world. However, when I look at Cameroon with more detail, I notice that they really have a solid starting lineup. The fact that they have these dominant two strikers and the rest of the team is average makes them an underdog team that is truly underrated going into games.
- The Negative- I say that what Cameroon will struggle with the most is the youth of their Midfielders. They have no player over the age of 26 in the middle field right now. By 2014, these players will be hitting 29 but I see a lot of the midfield getting replaced by younger players. There is just no dominant player to control the midfield like most champion teams have. Also, Samuel Eto’o and Pierre Webo will be struggling with the biggest problem every soccer player has, age. What makes it worse is there could never be a player to truly replace or even accomplish more than what Eto’o has.
Overall, this is a onetime chance for Cameroon. It could be the last World Cup that Cameroon’s star will play in. They need to work hard, produce a stronger midfield before 2014, and keep everyone healthy. If these three objectives can be done, I could see Cameroon being the next World Cup champion.
My Overall Rating of Cameroon’s National Team 6 out of 10
- The Positive-“The Black Stars” have turned heads in the past two World Cups. For United States fans, Ghana has made their head drop in frustration as the U.S. has been eliminated both years by them. This Ghana team has been a strong power that has continued to grow over the years. There star goalie, Richard Kingston, is aging and will most likely retire soon. However, they have Adjei on the bench that is young and very talented. The defense and midfield of Ghana is spectacular. In my opinion, they have one of the strongest midfield out of all the national teams. Boateng and Essien lead the midfield. These two are young yet both already show the team the leadership needed to have a superior midfield.
- The Negative-I say that what will hold Ghana back from claiming the title the most would be the sole aspect of a star player. Every champion has that one player that stands out from the rest of the team. I just don’t see that one player on Ghana’s team. Although the team has many great players, there is just no star. Maybe, GoranStevanovi””Æ’†'” ”’Æ”’¡, the new coach can see some new talent that the world hasn’t seen yet.
Overall, Ghana has a lot of youth and prospects for the upcoming years. The team overall is very solid but they need to find there key player(s). The power this team possesses has finally been shown with the past two world cups. Also, the past attempts for the cup have progressively gotten better. This experience will definitely help them in the long run.
My Overall Rating of Ghana’s National Team 7 out of 10
1. Ivory Coast
- The Positive- There is so many positive’s to The Elephants, I don’t really know where to begin. Although the star, Drogba, is getting old, the upcoming talent is definitely making noise. Kalou and Gervinho are two forwards that overflow with talent. What makes it better; these two players are still growing, young players. What about the midfield? The midfield is definitely on the same level as the forwards. Romaric and Toure are both on two very well known clubs that will expose every bit of talent in these two players. Eboue controls the defense for the Ivory Coast. He completes this task with extraordinary leadership. His presence on the field completely changes the opposing teams attack. All together, these stars making up a completely solid team
- The Negative- There is only two things I could find wrong with this national team. First, the goalie position has players that are below par. None of the current goalies have shown much talent like the rest of the team. Second, injury has held this team back in the past. The big reason they didn’t win the previous cup was the sole fact that Drogba was injured. A team can’t have the star on the bench and continue to win. Injuries must be irrelevant in the quest for the 2014 cup.
Overall, the Ivory Coast is one of my prime picks out of the world to win the 2014 World Cup. They have so much talent and the fight to win. I really don’t see anything or anyone getting in their way.
My Overall Rating of Ivory Coast’s National Team 9.5 out of 10
I can’t wait until 2014 when I get to tell everyone of my friends I told you so when one of these African teams holds the cup up high. It will be the first time an African team wins the cup but definitely won’t be the last. Soccer world, be ready for Africa in 2014.