My friends often ask me how I started blogging so I decided to write a post to answer their questions. Here is my guide to what I think a person should do if they want to start blogging.
1. Find several blogs that interest you. Read the blogs and see what they are all about. Do your research. Google, Bing, and search the net to see if there are a lot of blogs sharing the same information that you desire to post. If not, great. If so, evaluate how you can put a different spin on the topic.
2. Think about your personal interests and what you would like to share. A blog does not have to be public, it can be a private dialog of your life. A blog can also be based on photos, recipes, fashion, poetry, short stories, humor, etc. The possibilities are limitless.
3. Think about a unique niche. What will set your blog a part from the millions of blogs on the internet?
4. Create a blog email address and avatar. Use these just so that people can contact and identify you and your blog.
5. Think about how you want your blog to be structured. This all depends on your topic and vision. Answer these 4 questions:
a. Who is my target audience?
b. What will I display? (Will it be based on written text, videos, photos or something else? A combination is great!)
c. When will I post? (Strive for everyday if you can, blogs are more successful with consistent fresh content).
d. How will I market my blog to gain readers? (You may have great content, but if no one knows that your blog exist, your blog will be limited.) You must market your blog to gain readers some ideas to began are to join online communities with similar interests. Visit tons of blogs and share your link. Join social media tools such as Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, Digg, Stumble Upon, Yahoo Contributor’s Network etc. to help you gain a following of people interested in your material. I think the best way to market your blog is to share your blog with everyone you know. All of those emails in your contact folder, email them and let them know what your blog is all about. Do you have a lot of Facebook/social media friends? If so, let them know that you started blogging and they should read it. Learn about SEO and how to get Google search engines to pick up your blog.
6. Come up with a name and URL. (Research the name you chose to make sure it is not already taken and doesn’t have negative connotations.) Think about blog designs. What colors work well together and what colors do you like. Google different designs to get ideas. Design a logo. If you are not a designer pay or ask someone else to design one for you. Make sure the URL, design, and logo you choose are related to what type of content you plan to display so that it will be easy for people to identify what type of blog it is.
7. Think about a platform for your blog such as Word Press, Blogger, etc. Do you want to pay for hosting? Do you want to pay for a theme? If not, search the net for free ways to get started. It is even better if you have a friend that is a great designer and willing to help you get started, but if you don’t there are many free ways to go about it.
8.Gather ORIGINAL content including text and pictures. When you began your blog, already have content available so when people come to view your blog they will immediately have several options available. A typical post is between 300 and 500 words.
9. Do you want your blog to just be a personal hobby or a business money maker? If you want to make money, consider google ads, company sponsorships, blogging for someone else that is willing to pay, writing an e-book to sell on your blog, become a store affiliate etc. The ways to monetize are endless be creative and brain storm.
10. Lastly, go for it and post often. Encourage your readers to comment and introduce yourself and your blog everywhere you can.
If you have questions or comments feel free to ask and share. I look forward to hearing from you. If you want to view more of my content click here.