Photography is changing daily, so it seems. One needs to look at the advantages of digital cameras and digital photography. For one, digital photographs are extremely adaptable, and pictures are immediately accessible. You can email them to friends and family, put them on a web site, burn them to CD or DVD, store them on your computer, and use them for slide shows which can be viewed on your TV or computer monitor. They can be printed, however no negatives are available for reprints.. Since there is no processing involved, digital photography does not need dangerous chemicals that could end up in our water supplies.
Another advantage of digital photographs is the ease with which they can be edited. Image editing software allows you to alter digital images in any way that you can think of. They can be cropped, the colors can be changed or enhanced, the contrast can be adjusted, imperfections can be removed, and images can be combined to produce awesome new designs. All of this can be accomplished in a few seconds with just a few key strokes or mouse clicks. However if you store your photos on a computer, you must back them up on another disc. You may lose them easier because you don’t immediately have a hard copy.
Digital Cameras can offer so much more than conventional film cameras. Most models have a viewing screen which functions as a view finder as well as a picture viewer. If your photo comes out dark you are able to lighten it up, once you put your SD card into the photo processor.. This gives you the ability to view pictures that you have taken just moments before. If you then find that the picture is not to your liking you can just delete it and take another. If part of the photograph is good, crop it and save it back to the camera memory.
Digital photography is becoming more affordable all of the time, and the technology to make detailed photos well within the budget of most consumers. Add to this the money that you can save in development costs, you have an inexpensive practical solution to all of your photography needs.
Some of the cameras to check out this year are Canon EOS 5D Mark II, according to B & H, this camera delivers the fluid shooting experience and the fine photos you expect from a professional model. The pricing for only the body of this model without the lens is approximately $2,499.00 – $2,999.95
The Canon EOS 5D Mark II (Body Only) improves upon the EOS 5D by increasing the resolution by about 40% to 21.1 mega-pixels and adds a Live View feature that allows users to preview shots on the camera’s high resolution 3.0″ LCD display. It even incorporates the ability to record full motion HD Video with sound, so you can capture the action as well as superb images.
The camera’s 21.1MP, full-frame 35mm-format (24x36mm) CMOS sensor captures image files with incredible image quality and color accuracy, as either JPEG, RAW and RAW+JPEG files. “The camera also incorporates Canon’s acclaimed DIGIC 4 imaging processor that works in with a high-speed” DDR-SDRAM buffer to ensure quick performance and fast image processing times.
Performance enhancements enabled by the DIGIC 4 processor include a fast full-resolution frame rate of up to 3.9 fps, improved battery life, noticeably improved image quality at all ISO sensitivities, fast start-up and reaction times, and improved noise suppression at ISO sensitivities ranging from ISO 100 to ISO 6400, plus the camera’s sensitivity is further expandable to a range of ISO 50 to ISO 25600.
The Canon EOS 5D Mark II incorporates a high-fidelity (920,000 dot) 3″ LCD screen and includes a ‘Live View’ feature that lets the user to frame their shots on the LCD display, and adds framing functions that are not possible with a traditional SLR viewfinder, including the ability to zoom in and preview image to ensure proper focus, and a grid overlay to assist in proper composition.
The Live View focusing system also enables focus modes such as Quick mode, Live mode and Face Detection Live mode. Furthermore, the Live View Feature enables HD video recording that can capture true HD-quality (1080p) video at a frame rate of 30 fps with Face Detection and sound.
The magnesium-alloy chassis of the EOS 5D Mark II ensures the durability of the camera so users can expect this camera to hold up in rugged conditions. To keep the imaging sensor free from dust, Canon’s EOS Integrated Cleaning System uses ultrasonic vibrations to shake dust particles off of the sensor’s low-pass filter each time you power up (or you can do this manually when needed. This way your images will be spot free and reduces time needed for image retouching.
Other professional quality features found on the Canon EOS 5D Mark II include 14-bit A/D conversion, a bright viewfinder (with 98% image coverage), Auto Light Optimizer, 21.1 Mega-pixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor, DIGIC 4 Image Processor, Lens Peripheral Illumination Correction, Live View Function Picture Style Settings, Compatible With Over 60 Canon EF Lenses. It also has optional WFT-E4A accessory allows photographers to transmit images from their cameras directly to a computer over a wireless local area network.
Flash Photography Features that the EOS 5D mark II features Canon’s E-TTL II flash metering system, which provides consistently accurate flash exposure from shot to shot. Canon’s Speed lite 580EX and 430EX are suited to the EOS 5D. They include an AF-Assist Beam, which works in with the EOS 5D’s focusing system and automatically sends color temperature information to the camera when the flash fires, for more accurate color rendition with flash photography
An extremely fast, highly durable shutter unit has been especially developed to match the EOS 5D mark II’s full-frame 35mm CMOS sensor. The high-torque shutter-cocking mechanism is rated to 150,000 shots, speeds from 1/8000 sec. to 30 sec. and bulb. It is compatible with PictBridge, altogether, the Canon EOS 5D Mark II has been designed to serve the needs and interests of serious enthusiasts as well as professional photographers who are in pursuit of the perfect image, this camera assures greater stability at every point.
Nikon D7000, an excellent dSLR for experienced shooters or Nikon professionals looking for a relatively cheap option, the Nikon D7000 delivers on almost all counts, including the company’s best shooting design to date.
Nikon’s D7000 features a 16.2 MP DX-format CMOS sensor, 6 fps continuous shooting and breathtaking Full 1080p HD Movies with full time auto focus. Price $1,199.95 EN-EL15 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery. Comes with
DK-5 Eyepiece Cap
DK-21 Rubber Eyecup
UC-E4 USB Cable
EG-D2 Audio Video Cable
AN-DC1 Camera Strap
BM-11 LCD Monitor Cover
BF-1B Body Cap
BS-1 Accessory Shoe Cover
ViewNX 2 CD-ROM
High Resolution 16.2 MP DX-format CMOS sensor for large prints and tight cropping
The High Speed captures the most fleeting action at 6 frames per second. While the Virtual Horizon Graphic Indicator shows whether the camera is level and in Live View mode, lets you place a grid over the scene you’re about to shoot ‘” an invaluable tool for shooting landscapes and architecture.
The most awesome feature that I like is the Dynamic ISO range from 100 to 6400 expandable to 25,600 (Hi2) lets you shoot in near darkness ! The Compact EN-EL15 Battery lets you shoot over 850 shots and the Active D-Lighting restores picture-enhancing detail in shadows and highlights.
Mike Flacy of Steve’s Digicams posted his review of the Nikon D7000 D-SLR. He said, “Nikon has hit a home run with their latest D-series model.” He is highly impressed with the camera’s high ISO capabilities, the fast speed of the D7000’s shooting performance in single and burst modes, and overall ergonomics of the camera. Flacy said the features of the camera make it appealing for a large majority of pro photographers and enthusiasts and has given this camera his highest recommendation.
Not enough can be said about this camera, Digital Trends’ David Elrich found the camera to be packed with great features, including the 6 fps burst mode, new 2,016 pixel RGB 3D color matrix metering system, 39 point AF and 16.2 mega-pixel resolution imaging sensor. Elrich found the camera’s response time to be “blazing fast”. He was impressed with the D7000’s accurate depiction of colors and high ISO sensitivity. Elrich concluded, “Simply put, if you’re serious about photography, you want this camera.”
While I love the first two cameras, they are not in my budget, however they are on my wish list. This is by far THE best Nikon ever!!
Price: $1,199.99 – $1,299.95
Canon PowerShot S95, is the camera that I have, it’s performance can be better. I may have expected more because of the Pentax automatic camera I had previously. However, this is an excellent point and shoot camera, any dSLR shooters looking for a sidekick camera will find that it is worth the trade-off of its compact size. Well within my budget, the price is $399.99 – $499.00
Olympus E-PL2 (Black, with 14-42mm lens) A great interchangeable-lens model if you’re looking for better photo quality and/or a more advanced feature set than your current point-and-shoot offers, consider the Olympus PEN E-PL2. However some say it is not fast enough for the photography of active kids and pets.
- Four body color choices: Red, Silver, White and Black
- 12.3-Mega-pixel Live MOS image sensor produces large 4032×3024 pixel photo
- Direct button for HD movie recording
Choose from 4:3, 3:2, 16:9 and 6:6 aspect ratios
- Micro Four-Thirds lens mount system
- Compatible with Four Thirds mount and Olympus OM lenses using optional adapters (MMF-1 and MF-2 OM)
- In-body (sensor-shift) Image Stabilization system
- TruePic V Image Processor
- Olympus System Supersonic Wave Filter Dust Reduction System
- iAuto (intelligent), Program AE, Aperture/Shutter Priority, Full Manual, and Custom exposure control
- 22 pre-programmed Scene modes as well as “Art Filter” modes
- Art Filter stacking options
- Live Guide II covers both still and video
- Face detection with new iDetect (Eye Detect)
Compressed RAW and JPEG (Fine/Standard) formats, including RAW+JPEG (Fine or Normal)
- In-camera image editing options, including RAW processing
- TTL Auto White Balance system with several presets, one-touch custom set, white balance compensation, and bracketing options
- sRGB or Adobe RGB Color Space options
- TTL 324-area ESP metering system, Center-weighted average and Spot options
- Shutter speeds from 2 – 1/4000 sec. seconds and Bulb
- Manual Focus Assist
3.0 inch HyperCrystal LCD with anti-reflective coating
- Accepts new VF-2 electronic viewfinder that attaches via the flash hot shoe, and articulates up to 90°
- EVF monitor adjustments for brightness and hue (±7 levels each)
- Record Motion JPEG (.AVI) movies at 720p HD (1280×720) or SD (640×480) resolutions (30fps) with stereo sound
- Auto ISO sensitivity from 200 – 6400, Manual from 100-6400, 1/3 or 1EV steps (Movie mode 160 – 1600)
- Built-in hot shoe for external units
- SD/SDHC/SDXC card slot
- Selectable video output with NTSC or PAL format
- HD output via MiniHDMI Type C I/O port
- monaural microphone
- Optional EMA-1 microphone input jack for optional external mics
- Accessory port 2 accepts VF-2 and EMA-1 adapters as well as new MAL-1 and PP-1 (PENPAL) accessories
USB 2.0 (High-speed) data and control interface
- Included BLS-5 Li-ion battery and compact AC charger
- Newly designed M.Zuiko 14-42mm II lens with optional conversion lens adapters
The E-PL2 kit will include the new M.Zuiko Digtial ED 14-42mm II f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens,
Price: $549.00 – $649.99
Nikon Coolpix S8100 has fast performance, good photos, and an excellent feature-to-price ratio, the Nikon Coolpix S8100 is a compact megazoom worth considering.
Product Description From the Manufacturer
High speed operation, exceptional low light performance, excellent image quality and sophisticated features mark the 12.1-mega-pixel Coolpix S8100, with advanced CMOS sensor technologies. The optical 10x Zoom-Nikkor ED glass lens covers 30-300mm, and the camera’s speedy start-up, fast auto focus, quick shutter release, superior low light performance and high-speed continuous shooting (capture 5 shots in one second) to ensure capture of memorable moments.
The versatile Coolpix S8100 offers Optical VR Image Stabilization, high ISO sensitivity up to 3200, a new flash control system, full HD 1080p movie recording with stereo sound and a 3- inch Ultra-High Resolution (921,000-dot) Clear Color Display for bright, sharp image viewing and sharing.
Superior Image Quality
- 12.1 -mega-pixel CMOS sensor for high speed operation and exceptional low-light performance.
- 10x Wide-Angle Optical Zoom-Nikkor ED Glass Lens. Versatile 30-300mm lens ranges wide to capture landscapes, zooms in to get close to the action. In the Nikkor tradition of precision optics, the high-quality ED glass lens delivers superb color and razor-sharp results.
- 4-way VR Image Stabilization System
- Optical VR Image Stabilization by lens shift minimizes the effects of camera shake.
- Motion Detection automatically detects moving subjects and adjusts shutter speed and ISO to compensate for camera shake and subject movement.
- High ISO up to 3200 for optimum results when shooting in low light or photographing fast-moving subjects.
- Nikon’s Best Shot Selector (BSS) automatically takes up to ten shots while the shutter is pressed, then selects and saves the sharpest image.
- EXPEED C2 continues to expand the possibilities of photography with improved levels of image quality, fine detail and processing speed. Custom-optimized for each Coolpix model, Nikon’s renowned digital image processing engine ensures outstanding images.
- 3-inch Ultra-High Resolution (921,000-dot) Clear Color Display for still images and movies that come alive with rich detail and improved contrast. The large LCD’s wide viewing angle and anti-glare coating make it easy to compose, view and share pictures.
- Advanced low light shooting capability.
- Shoot still images even while recording HD Movie. Creative Control
- Mode Dial for quick setting of key functions.
- ISO can be set as high as 3200.
- In-camera editing functions include Quick Retouch, and DLighting.
- Creative Slider allows adjustment of brightness, saturation and color.
HD Movie Recording
- Full HD (1080p) Movie with Stereo and HDMI Output, optical Zoom control and stereo sound recording. HDMI output allows easy in camera playback or convenient playback on HD-TV or computer. In-camera movie editing function also available. One-Touch record button for instant Movie recording.
High Speed Performance
- Ultra-fast start-up, auto-focus and shooting.
- High Speed Shooting capture 5 shots in one second at full resolution.
- Sport Continuous Shooting to capture fast action (reduced image size)
- Shoot Slow Motion Movies up to 240 fps by selecting HS Movie mode (reduced image size)
- Subject Tracking automatically tracks a moving subject to ensure sharp focus.
- Smart Portrait System
- Smile Timer automatically releases the shutter when your subject smiles.
- In-Camera Red-Eye Fix automatically corrects most instances of red-eye as you shoot. You may never see red-eye again.
- Face-Priority AF. Nikon’s face-finding technology automatically detects up to 12 faces.
- Skin Softening smoothes skin tones at three different levels for optimal portraits; can be applied while shooting or during playback.
- Blink Warning alerts you if a subject has blinked.
- 17 Scene modes including Scene Auto Selector
- Scene Auto Selector automatically recognizes the scene you’re shooting and selects the most appropriate scene mode; offers six scene modes plus auto.
- Macro shooting as close as 0.4 inches.
- 220 still shots (approx.) with supplied EN-EL12 Li-ion rechargeable battery.
Price: $254.88 – $580.80
Money wise, and feature wise, this camera is where you will get the more for the dollar if you do not need a professional camera. Canon EOS 5D Mark II, is my professional camera choice, however due to the price it is on my wish list.