Lesson 22 – Contemporary Japan (Foreign Affairs)
- In the present time frame, Japan has opted to use economic diplomacy in international affairs. Current problems with currency valuation and devastating earthquakes have damaged the economy severely for the start of 2011.
- The United States continues to be the technological model for current-day Japan . However, Japan is outsourcing more and more tech to India in recent years.
- Recent security treaties are slowly giving Japan a minor military presence in Asia and reducing the dependency of Japan on the United States . This is also having a minor economic impact on Japan ‘s budget.
- The reversion of Okinawa back to Japan has allowed Japan greater freedom in the expansion of its island influence.
- Japan and the Soviet Union resumed normal relations after the Soviets stopped the Japanese from becoming members of the UN. The gradual growth of the Japanese economy and growing deficit of the Russian economy also led to Russian concessions in the past decade.
- China still remains Japan ‘s number one trading partner although a great deal of animosity on China ‘s part still remains from WW2.
- Modern China has made inroads to Japan ‘s dominance of the Asian theatre in exports.
- Relations with Korea remain essential because Korea is Japan ‘s main entry to the Asian continent for trade purposes.
- The Koreans (as do most Asians) distrust the Japanese because of the past transgressions of Japan in Korea and because of discrimination of Koreans by Japanese in Japan and Asia .
- Japan continues to us economic diplomacy in the Pacific Rim and throughout the rest of the world.
- Japan saves an enormous amount of money every year in the budget by spending less than 5% of its total GDP on National Defense. This allows them to invest more into the infrastructure of the country.
- What are Japan ‘s relations with the Pacific Rim and the rest of the world?
- Why do the Koreans distrust the Japanese?
- Why are relations with Korea particularly important?
- Why are Japanese-Chinese relations important to Japan and why do the Chinese distrust the Japanese?
- Why are Japanese-Russian relations important?
- Why was the reversion of Okinawa back to Japan important to them?
- Why is the United States still important to Japan ?
- Why is economic diplomacy so important to Japan ?
- WHAT ARE JAPAN ‘S ECONOMIC AND POLITICAL GOALS IN THE MODERN WORLD?
- HOW DID JAPAN BECOME SO DOMINATNT IN ASIA EVEN THOUGH IT LOST WW2?
Additional Internet Research Links For This Lesson: