Tortillas are thin bread that is round in shape and usually baked or fried. They are made from ground corn or wheat flour. They are light and tasty and a great substitution for traditional lasagna noodles. Mixing ingredients contained in a taco, nachos with a few extra surprises will turn these simple wraps into a lovely, exciting and spicy lasagna. This meal is quick to prepare while offering your family something out of the ordinary.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound of ground chicken
- 1 (16 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 ½ cups of sour cream, divided
- 1 package of taco seasoning mix
- 1 (8 ounce) can of sliced black olives, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16 ounce) jar of mild taco sauce
- 12 – 18 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 ½ cups of shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 ½ cups of shredded Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head of lettuce shredded
- In a large frying pan add the oil and the ground chicken.
- Saut© the chicken until it is cooked through completely.
- Drain most of the liquid from the frying pan as possible.
- Add the peppers, chilies and onion to the frying pan.
- Cook until the vegetables are and almost tender.
- Preheat oven to 350′.
- Add the taco seasoning package and stir into the pan. Cover the pan and cook on simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Coat the bottom of the pan with some taco sauce.
- Then line the bottom of the pan with the flour tortillas.
- Remove frying pan from stove and stir.
- Now add the olives, beans and diced tomatoes and stir into the chicken mixture.
- Add the sour cream and 1 cup of each of the cheeses. Fold these into the chicken mixture.
- Salt and pepper to taste if necessary.
- Spread a layer of the chicken mixture over the tortillas. (The layer can be as thick or as thin as you prefer. The amount of tortillas will depend on the thickness of the layers used.)
- Cover this layer with the tortillas and spread more taco sauce over them.
- Continue layering until all the chicken mixture is used in the lasagna pan leaving the top layer with just the chicken mixture.
- Top off the pan with ½ cup of each of the cheeses and place in middle of oven rack.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the cheese melts and the center is heated all the way through.
- Cut into 3 x 3 squares and place on a bed of shredded lettuce.
- If you like a little more flavor add some garlic powder and red pepper flakes to the chicken mixture and stir it up before layer it in the lasagna pan.
- Place small dollops or melon-ball scoops of sour cream on top of the lasagna just before presenting the dish at the table.
- Swap out the cheeses with ones that are your family’s favorite.
- Add more heat by adding a medium or hot taco sauce in lieu of the mild flavored one.
- Don’t care for tortillas that much! Rather have a roll-up? Prefer tortilla chips instead? Prepare the chicken mixture as above and place just the mixture in the baking pan. Add the mixture to a flour or corn tortilla and wrap it like a burrito. If using tortilla chips just place them over a dinner plate, add the shredded lettuce over them and place a large scoop of the mixture over that. Eat as a casserole or like nachos.
- Ground beef or turkey will also taste great in this recipe.
- If you have chicken or turkey left-over from another meal. Chop it into cubes, let it come to room temperature and stir it into the mixture before placing the pan in the oven.