Some states may not require that you make sure your child gets physical activity each day. I can tell you that your child’s physician will recommend it if the state doesn’t. Childhood obesity is at an all time high probably due to too much television and video games and not enough time playing outdoors.
Here are some things you can do throughout the week to make sure your child gets about one hour of exercise per day.
- Join a sports program at your local rec center. If you don’t have a local rec center your local public authority will probably be required to allow your child to join their after school sports teams. My daughter has been playing sports at my local rec center since she was 4 years old. The practices are 3 times per week plus games on Saturdays. That takes care of 4 days per week.
- Sign up your child at a local gym. Most gyms now offer children’s classes after school hours.
- Consider Karate or Tae Kwon Do. These classes cost money, but they are good for children for two reasons. First, they get the kids the required exercise they need. Second, they teach children how to defend themselves in case of an emergency.
- Gymnastics or Dance are also great options to consider. Even if your child doesn’t compete at the professional level it is still a great way to get in an hour of physical activity.
- Use an exercise video that is set to music for rainy days. This is a great way to make sure your child gets exercise even when they can’t go outside.
- Buy a trampoline. Kids will actually want to get exercise on a trampoline. My suggestion would be to get the trampolines that have nets on the sides so the children can’t fall off and sustain an injury.
- Visit the beach. Playing on the beach or swimming in the water is a great physical exercise. Most children won’t want to leave after one hour. You can make the beach trip fun by taking a walk along the shore searching for sea shells.
- Create a scavenger hunt in the yard. Make sure you hide the items really well so the children will be outside for the designated hour.
- If you have a basketball hoop then you can invite the neighborhood kids over for a game. You only need a minimum of 4 people to play in your backyard or in your driveway.
- Ride bikes. If your child isn’t old enough yet, then you will have to bike ride with them. Make sure you are both wearing a helmet and that you are riding in a place that doesn’t get a lot of traffic.