For about $200 or so, it’s hard to beat the ProStaff 550. It may not contain all the bells and whistles of higher-priced models such as its higher-end brother, the Nikon RifleHunter 550. Of course, it’s not as expensive either. This model is a solid performer in a rugged, compact package.
Features of the Nikon ProStaff 550:
* Rated range from 11 yards to 550 yards
* Monocular design
* Multicoated optics to improve light transmission, clarity, and color rendition.
* 6x magnification
* Displays 0.5 yd increments to 100 yds, 1 yd increments after that
* Uses 1 CR2 lithium battery for long life
* Dimensions: 1.5 by 2.7 by 5.1 inches (W x H x D) to fit easily in your hand
* Lightweight at 6.3 ounces (without battery)
* Waterproof/Fogproof (except battery chamber) for guaranteed performance in field conditions.
Another key feature of this model is the enabling of continuous tracking; after all, you’ll likely be using this on a moving target pretty often. It’s just much more convenient to have the automatic continuous tracking rather than consciously having to re-hit the scan button over and over again.
Things that are great about it:
* Nikon quality, rugged package
* Small, lightweight design for one-hand operation
* Solid performance for the majority of users
* Attractive price
Things that could be better:
* Best for short- to medium-range situations under 500 yards
* Not as full-featured as other models
* Small design may be less than steady in some conditions
The ProStaff 550 is widely praised for its durability and ease of use in a small, affordable package. Some users have noted is that with its size and 6x magnification, it can sometimes be difficult to stay on target at long distances. Most report that the range finder easily ranges deer-sized targets out to at least 300 yds, with many users ranging out to the reported max of 550 yds. For most farm country or eastern hunters, it’s rare to have a shot over 250 yds anyway. But many user reviews came from western hunters who reported good performance as well.
The Nikon ProStaff 550 Laser Rangefinder is a solid performer from one of the best manufacturers in the business. It would serve most hunters and outdoors enthusiasts quite well in virtually any condition. At this price level, it’s hard to beat, but it doesn’t come with all the features that other models may have.
All in all, though, this unit offers a great combination of price to performance. If your budget or needs don’t justify splurging hundreds more for a higher-end rangefinder, by all means go with the Nikon ProStaff 550.
For more on hunting range finders of all types, check out www.huntingrangefinderreview.com