I am one of those fortunate people that was blessed in life to have two Grandmothers who loved and supported me. I referred to each of them as Nana. Imagine my surprise when I found I could have a Nana online JerseyNana joined the original Associated Content in August of 2009. Though she covers many topics, her claim to fame is her poetry and her content written as an Associated Content Featured Contributor for Television.
I personally can vouch for her support. She cheered me on when I was conducting page view races and even put in a good word in for me to Luke Beatty. If she is your fan you will doubt feel her support and see her comments on your articles.
This interview draws out JerseyNana’s true spirit. She has a wide range of interests. She is friendly, but is not afraid to voice her constructive criticism should be it be necessary. I enjoyed learning more about my online Nana and I hope you do to. Nana. Thank you for patience in waiting for this interview to be published. I appreciated it
Hi Han, it’s Nana!!!
1. Why do you go by dejunker?
Because I used that name on Ebay, I used to sell lots of stuff that we collected and we were dejunking at the time!!!
I am also email@example.com
2. Do you have a big following Yahoo! Messenger?
No I don’t use it, everyday I have at least 2-4 requests that I decline.
3. How did you initially discover Associated Content before it was purchased by Yahoo?
I used to write for HubPages and a fellow writer did a story about AC, and I gave it a try and was hooked!
4. Did your friend write for Associated Content?
I don’t know, he was comparing writing formats and once I tried; I never looked back!
5. How would you describe your experience with HubPages?
I wrote for a while, but I had to sign up for Google adsense, Kontera and Amazon to get paid, which turned out to be very little.
6. You started writing for Associated Content, using the name JerseyNana. Does that name have any history or significance for you?
Well I am Nana to 5 grandkids and I wanted a pen name that had a nice ring to it. But I changed it to be taken more seriously on Y!CN.
7. Now you write on the Yahoo! Contributor Network, using the name Diane Z. Ciatto. Do you feel that it has helped you to be taken more seriously?
Yes, I have had several private jobs from Textbroker, but as for Y!CN, I am not so sure where any of us stand. I only see certain names and faces appearing on the front page. I guess time will tell. All the featured contributors have to reapply to be featured, I guess that will be an indication.
Note: Diane Z. Ciatto is back to publishing as JerseyNana on Y!CN.
8. How do you think that the Yahoo! Contributor Network is developing?
I really love to write here and I love my friends that are like family. But the most commented list surely brought us new friends and brought so many pv’s to our articles; now it is gone along with comment box on health related articles. So I don’t know what to expect next, but surely hope it is good for us writers.
9. What is your opinion of the Yahoo! Contributor Network forum?
I stay away from the forum because when attempting to learn something, I learned that several people rule the roost and they do not like everyone, so I avoid unfriendly people. Let me say negative people rather than unfriendly.
10. Without worrying about my feelings, what was you your opinion of the page view races?
I loved the pv races. I met so many new people because of them and just the enthusiasm that they generated was empowering!!!!!!
11. Would you race again?
12. It is obvious that you have a love for poetry. When did you first realize that you had a gift?
When I was in grammar school, I would write poems and I loved rhyming words and to this day, my sister and I wordplay with each other and make up words that crack us up. They probably wouldn’t mean anything to anyone else but us, but we can still laugh like little kids about our antics.
13. You seem to be able to write a poem for any and all occasions. Have you ever been stumped?
Oh sure, but I usually can close my eyes and come up with something quickly. Now that I don’t write a poem a day, I am somewhat rusty so plan to do at least 3-5 a week again and recently wrote one called “Poetic Withdrawal” because several of my readers are asking for my poems!
14. How long does it take you to write a typical poem?
I hate to admit it, but it usually takes less than 15 minutes. Once the spark comes, the words fly out!
15. You were a Featured Television Contributor. Did you get accepted automatically into the new Yahoo! Featured Program or do you need to re-apply?
No everyone must reapply; at least that’s what the memo said. They streamlined the categories for featured contributors. I just hope that I am accepted again. They are giving us our three usual assignments for March, but all must apply starting March 1st.
Actually, I believe a mall number of contributors were allowed to waive the application process. Whereas some contributors are angry others are not upset. How does this make you feel?
I know there are favorites in every walk of life. I know that by applying for upfront payments for many of my articles, I am not one of them. I am not looking for favoritism with the powers that be, but I feel that my fellow writers are my best judges of my work and we are there for each other in good times and bad.
What would you consider your top five television programs of all time?
Right now I am writing a series about the 1950’s black & white series. “I Love Lucy” has to be #1 and The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson #2. After those 2, I find it difficult to classify anything as best. Seinfeld, Curb your Enthusiasm, The Sopranos, and hundreds more that I loved over the years.
16. Are there any television programs that stand out in your mind as being awful?
My husband watches WWE wrestling which I abhor and anything scary with real killers turns me off. I used to faithfully watch Criminal Minds; and one episode scared the bejeebers out of me and I haven’t watched since. As far as awful is concerned, the only thing I can think about in that category is the Jerry Springer Show, but will watch it on occasion because it is so awful!
17. As one who lives in New Jersey, do you like the Jersey Shore. I mean the beach, not the television show. Feel free to comment, if you choose, on the show as well.
Unfortunately, I rarely go to the shore. Due to my illness I am not supposed to go in the sun. Last summer it was terribly hot, and stayed in the pool much too long and had a bad time of it for several months even though I wore long pants and long sleeves over my bathing suit. As for the show Jersey Shore, I do watch it but do not write about it. Because I like talk shows; I keep up with it because that seems to be all they talk about.
18. You said that you follow the Jersey Shore show. Who is your favorite character?
I guess Snookie, she is certainly flawed, but she holds her own against the rest of the house.
19. Who is your least favorite character on The Jersey Shore?
Of the regulars, I guess Mike “the Situation” because he reminds me of too many guidos I remember from my teenage years. They were too full of themselves, but I don’t hate him, he is just what he is, but I wonder what he will look like in 25 years!
20. What was the episode of Criminal Minds about that scared you into not watching hat series anymore?
The one where they kidnapped Shemar Moore
I love the quotations at the beginning of the program, I wish I had something poignant to say so they could quote me!
21. You do and perhaps they will!
That is funny, my friend!
22. In a word or two how would you describe your battle and experience with Sarcoidosis?
It is a struggle at times, but I stay positive!
23. I understand that you are a New York Giants fan. Is that correct?
Oh yes!!! I love Big Blue
24. are your favorite all time Giants players?
All time, Lawrence Taylor and I feel sorry for him right now for what he is going through, but he was one fantastic player. I love Eli Manning and I miss Jeremy Shockey. There were so many that I loved but was never a Phil Sims fan!
I also love the Steelers and all time Terry Bradshaw fan along with Rocky Blier and Franco Harris!
When Plaxico Burris came to the Giants from Pittsburgh, I was thrilled, but then he went to jail!
25. Would you like to see Plaxico Burris join the Giants again?
Yes I hope he does but Tiki Barber wants to play again, but Giants don’t want him and neither do I.
26. I agree. Do you prefer the Giants keep Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw or both?
Definitely both, they bring lots of excitement to the game and are worth keeping
27. Do you have a favorite New York Giant moment or two?
I had a dear friend who took me to the first game of the season several years ago, he was a co-worker who was old enough to be my dad, but we were best of friends. He had season tickets. He passed away about 2 years ago and I will never forget him. He was 84 when he died and I miss him so much. But several of us used to hang out with him (all females) and he was a trip!!! I’m sure he is watching over us!
After the game which we won over the Redskins, we went into the bubble and met several of the players and got autographs!
28. Cool! Any Giant moments you would like to erase from your memory?
A few bad years here and there, but a fan takes the good with the bad. After all I have been a Mets fan since they arrived on the scene and the first years were horrendous. I am also a Red Sox fan.
29 Before we move on to the New York Mets and the Boston Red Sox, I must ask if you are a New York Jets fan too?
I like the Jets but not really a fan. They play in the same stadium with the Giants (in New Jersey) 10 minutes from where I used to live, but I did root for them in 1969 when they won the Super Bowl while my brother in law was rooting for the Baltimore Colts….boy was he mad when the Jets won!!!
30. After this past season, do you think Tom Coughlin should have been fired as the Giants head coach?
No, I think he is a good coach and is doing a good job. Injuries to key players can not be avoided.
31. How do you reconcile being both a New York Mets fan and a Boston Red Sox fan?
Easy, I can’t stand the Yankees.
32. Are you a Bill Buckner fan?
Sure, when that ball went through his legs and the Mets won, I will never forget him for that!!!
33. So you are more of a Mets fan?
Yes more Mets, and more Giants, but I like to have a team in each division just to make it more enjoyable!
34. Who are you favorite New York Mets players of all time?
Shamsky, Ed Kranepool, Ron Swoboda, Jerry Koosman from the earlier years. David Wright, Jose Reyes and Daniel Murphy are my favs now!
35. Do you like hockey or basketball?
Both but have not followed them so much lately. Like the Rangers and the Knicks, now that Carmelo Anthony is a Knick, I see more clips on the news
36. As a Georgetown Hoya fan, you must have followed Patrick Ewing’s career as a New York Knick?
Oh yes, my son was in Georgetown while Pat was there, but was disappointed in their performance in the Big East tourney and they went out in the first round of the NCAA which gave Barkley more fodder for his “anti-Big East” rant!
37. Big Pat could never lead the Knicks to the promised land.
So sad, all the greatness was in Chi Town!
38. You mentioned that when you are on Yahoo! Messenger you get approached by a lot of spammers. So far this has not been my experience. What happens to you?
I get so many requests from people who want to chat…but probably want to sell me something or rip me off!
39. Have you been trying to utilize Yahoo! Pulse?
No not at all, been busy trying to write more but have had writer’s block lately
40. Are there any of your Yahoo! Contributor Network articles that you would like to highlight here?
Here are 5 links to my favorite articles and poetry:
1. Dreams: My favorite poem because this truly happened to me. When I turned 50 I
felt that my life was over because all my dreams came true. Mymarriage was still intact, my children were grown and successful; but I had never dreamed of anything but getting to this point, and now I was there and forgot to dream for myself.
2. Deadliest Catch Special Memorial Episode: Special memorial episode to Captain Phil Harris of the “Deadliest Catch” far and above, my favorite television program.
3. Ddiy When Using an Elevator Always : One of my funniest and embarrassing stories
4. Homonyms Do You Write Right: Another one of my poems that I hope gives a lesson at the same time
5. Sarcoidosis Little Known Autoimmune: Lastly, an illness that is near and dear to my heart. Hopefully more people will find out about it because of my experience:
41. I believe Pattie Byrd sent you in my direction. I am glad that she did. Are you?
Yes, I am thrilled that she did!! She spoke so highly of you and I consider her one of my dearest friends on AC, along with Charlotte Kuchinsky, Michele Starkey and Jenny Heart and you of course!!
But that is the short list, I have so many dear friends on AC, I could not even start the list.
42. Is there anything that you would like to add to this interview?
Not that I can think of, but I love my friends and consider them family on AC, but I worry when I hear people say that they are trying to get rid of some of us and only want the cream of the crop.