Did the title stun you a little? It probably did! We are always hearing news and health reports about the negative effects of snacking. For the most part, they are true! So many individuals when they hear the word snack – certain foods in a group of their own instantly come to mind. Some include potato chips, pretzels, ice cream, cake, pie or cheese puffs.
Oh, by the way did you know that the fifth of March celebrates a food holiday called National Cheese Puffs Day ? If you didn’t, you do now? Except, we aren’t going to discuss this type of snack either! Those are the types of snacks all the reports say to avoid. Why? Because they contain lots of fats, oils, sodium and sugars. All of these don’t give people a chance at controlling their blood sugar levels or turn the other cheek to obesity if eaten in large amounts or on a daily basis.
Don’t get me wrong, eating these once in a great while won’t cause major health concerns or weight gain. But being able to curb the desire for these foods and try to fill in the blanks with snack foods that will also provide the missing nutrients lacking in our diets will be a huge benefit in your favor.
Try some of these when hunger pangs either in-between meals or sometimes after dinner.
- Yogurt, low-fat string cheese or almonds; all of these provide a good source of calcium.
- Bananas, citrus fruits or cantaloupe; all of these ensure your body gets enough potassium.
- Whole grain granola bars or unsalted pumpkin seeds; you will be getting extra magnesium in your diet.
- Whole grain crackers or chips, fresh fruits or raw vegetables; know that the fiber everyone cringes isn’t
- so bad eating these choices.
- Vegetables and fruits that are, orange in color. Oranges of course, carrots or mangos; here an extra dose of vitamin A will be gained.
- Kiwi, strawberries or citrus fruits; we all know by now these will provide vitamin C we all can use.
- Nuts or avocados; believe it or not, but it’s true; these contain vitamin E which is healthy for our bodies.
So next time you get the urge to chew, nibble or snack, try these choices on for size and see the difference the right snack can make.
Enjoy snacking once again! To find these ingredients in Winona just go downtown to the local SuperValu . Take that short drive to Greenwood or Grenada and shop at Super Wal-mart , Grocery Basket or Spain’s market.