Fruit cocktail cake is a delicious dessert for the whole family to enjoy. The various fruits within the cake give every slice a variety of flavors and a rainbow of colors throughout. This cake recipe is so easy to prepare one will wonder why they haven’t tried it before. With only a few ingredients this fruit filled cake will be in the oven baking in no time at all.
Cakes for the most part are not part of a healthy diet. Being able to splurge on a treat now and then satisfies the sweet tooth. Fruit cocktail does contain sugar and the amount depends upon how each can and brand is packaged. Some are packaged in syrup while others contain water or juice. Syrups can be light or heavy which also changes the amount of calories contained within the cans.
This fruit mixture came about because after a while fruits tend to become damaged or bruised and lose their appeal by not being as attractive as they were when first ripened. Instead of throwing away all the various fruits they were mixed together in syrup or water along with some preservatives so that they wouldn’t go to waste. The mixture of fruits became what we know it as today; fruit cocktail. Every year on the thirteenth of May a food holiday is celebrated called none other than “Fruit Cocktail Day!”
A typical can of fruit cocktail contains pineapple chunks, grapes, cherries, peach and pear slices. Even though the sugar content is high this mixture of flavors does contain lots of healthy minerals and vitamins such as: vitamin A, C, E, K, B1, B2, B6, calcium, copper, folate, iron, niacin, magnesium, potassium and zinc.
A can of fruit cocktail is a great snack straight out of the can. Even with its sweetness it is still better to serve the kids than candies, chocolates or sugar frosted cupcakes. Now let’s make a cake with an abundance of flavors, colors, vitamins, minerals for a refreshing, appealing and delicious dessert that will be a hit whether it is fruit cocktail day or an ordinary day within the week.
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) can of fruit cocktail with juice
1. Preheat oven to 350′.
2. In large bowl add the cake mix and the eggs.
3. If the recipe calls for water replace it with the juice from the fruit cocktail can. Add water if necessary to attain the full liquid measurement required on the box.
4. Mix well.
5. Now pour the fruit from the fruit cocktail into the cake batter and use a spoon or spatula to fold the fruit into the batter.
6. Grease the baking dish, tube pan or Bundt pan being used.
7. Bake for 45 ‘” 50 minutes until cake is done.
8. Remove cake from oven and place on cooling rack.
9. Allow 20 minutes to pass before inverting the cake out of the pan and back onto the cooling rack.
10. Let cake cool completely before placing on a cake dish to serve.
- No frosting is necessary on this cake.
- A dollop of whipped cream can give the sliced cake a little extra flare when serving.
To obtain fruit cocktail in Winona just go downtown to the local SuperValu . Take that short drive to Greenwood or Grenada and shop at Super Wal-mart , Grocery Basket or Spain’s market.