Carolina Beach has a lot of free summer activities all summer long for families and everyone to enjoy. Besides going to the beach, there are several great events taking place that are free or very budget-friendly.
Events on Pleasure Island
1. Free Family Night every Tuesday from 6:30pm-8:30pm at the Carolina Beach Boardwalk Gazebo. Come bring out the family to enjoy family-friendly music as well as the opportunities for free face-painting, free ice cream, characters for the children to play with (such as Dora the Explorer), and also a free bouncy house and slide.
2. Bingo competitions take place every Wednesday at the same location from 7pm-9pm for those 12 and older. Cash prizes are given to the winners.
3. Another event that takes place weekly in Carolina Beach is the Fireworks event held every Thursday evening at sunset. This is a wonderful opportunity to set up camp at the beach and enjoy the company of family and friends while experiencing one of summer’s finest events. A different band also plays at this event weekly at the Carolina Beach Boardwalk Gazebo. In addition, the Boardwalk now has an amusement park filled with great rides for all ages — from the merry-go-round for the younger ones, to the zipper for the older teens.
4. If you didn’t get enough fill of your summer music earlier in the week then you should check out the free summer concerts that take place at Ft. Fisher every Friday evening from 6:30pm-8:30pm. Please check this website for a list of great local musicians who will be performing each week: http://www.pleasureislandnc.org/freesummerconcertseries.asp
5. One of my personal favorite events is the Free Movies at the Lake that are shown every Sunday evening at Carolina Beach Lake Park. There is nothing quite as magical as watching a fun family flick together outdoors under a starry night. Get there early to set up camp as this is a popular event for many families in Wilmington. Feel free to pack your own dinner or there are plenty of snacks available for purchase such as cotton candy, popcorn, and soft drinks. Movies this year range from the very family friendly “Gnomeo and Juliet” (G) to the teen-targeted action film “Green Hornet (PG-13). Please visit the following link for a list of the family films that will be played this year: http://www.pleasureislandnc.org/freemoviesatthelake.asp
Fourth of July
Pleasure Island Independence Day Fireworks Extravaganza will take place this year of Sunday, July 3. Bring your blankets and camp out near the Boardwalk to see the best fireworks show Pleasure Island has to offer all summer. Show starts at 9pm.