Sometimes, I feel like my husband and I cannot spend sometime together without spending money somewhere in Dallas. However, spending money doesn’t have to happen if we plan and look for places to be together. So my husband and I went out to find five free for activities couples in Dallas.
1. The Dallas Museum of Art “Jazz Under the Stars”- It starts 12 of this year but we have been to this free outdoor concert in the past. It takes place on the Ross Avenue Plaza in the Sculpture Garden and is a very romantic evening. You and your sweet heart can picnic out on the plaza, look at the stars, and hear the best Jazz music around. Performances are from 8:00 pm-10:00 pm Thursday Nights. Visit the Jazz Under the Stars website or call 214-922-1200.
2. McKinney Avenue Trolley – theses trolleys were originally replaced by buses in the mid-1950’s. But, brought back in July 1989. The trolleys give you and your special someone a tour of McKinney Street and the Arts District. On a breezy and sunny day my husband and I rode the “Green Dragon” trolley. It took about 50 minutes for the tour with various stops along the way. You can be dropped off at the West Village, the Dallas Museum of Art, or any restaurant along the way. It was a lot of fun. You may park off of Cole Avenue or City Place. The McKinney Avenue Trolley service picks up passengers about every 25-30 minutes. Log on to www.mata.org or call 214-855-0006 to hear recorded information.
3. White Rock Lake – it’s about 1,000 acres of land surrounded by a large and beautiful lake. We enjoyed this spot for a picnic, looking out onto the lake, and watching the passers by. However, you and your loved one can explore the biking and hiking trails. And, there are fishing piers plus a bird watching area. Visit www.dallasparks.org or call 214-670-4100.
4. The Angelica Film Center- it’s a really nice movie theater with a huge chandelier hanging in the waiting area. The Angelica is wonderful because you can watch television for free there. We watched the Oscar telecast in one of the theaters. Critics panned the show but we had a blast with all the other people in attendance. Right now you can watch “Mad Men”, “The Walking Dead”, and a new show that premiered on TNT in June in “Falling Skies”. Visit the Angelica website at angelikafilmcenter.com, Like their Facebook fan page at: www.facebook.com or call the events line 214-824-2100.
5. The Mustangs of Las Colinas – In my opinion the best time to see this sculpture is in the evening. The lighting of the mustangs along with the surrounding fountains is amazing. Cozy up here and listen to the running water moving through the granite the fountains while looking at the Mustangs. It’s peaceful and relaxing. Visit www.irvingtexas.com for more information or call 972-252-7476.