Finding Work as Freelance Writer
After working a number of years, over twenty-five to be exact as a freelance writer, I discovered the hardest part is not the writing but finding the client. There are great SEO Content companies, marketing companies, and many others who need good writers to write articles, do blogs, keep their website up-to-date but the quest is to find these people. You need to be able to find the client, present yourself, make an adequate bid for the job, and then wait until a decision has been made if you are going to be hired or not. Let us look at each facet of finding work and how we can over-come the odds and get a good job with a great client. Presenting Yourself to Clients
When it comes to presenting yourself, it is always wise to have a good portfolio with some articles that you have written on a variety of topics. A picture can say a thousand words; make sure that you have a good picture of yourself looking professional. The next thing is to make sure that you are published in your name. It is difficult when you work as a freelance writer because all the materials that you have written for past clients must stay private. Once you sell your materials to a client then you are not privilege to tell other perspective clients. Instead, write articles in places like Associated Content, Hub Pages, and other farms where you can be seen. A client likes to see your work in action.
Finding the client
This step proves to be time consuming and it can become very costly. The reason is that most people who are looking for a client need to go to websites that offer you the opportunity to find clients who need articles written for their websites or clients that they have already gotten. These websites work in different ways for example:
- Elance- gives you the opportunity to buy bids that you can use on any writing job that you think that would be a benefit for you. You pay money out for the bids and if you are lucky, you will come across a good writing job. You are not permitted to contact the client personally but must work through Elance. They do guarantee that you will be paid by putting your money in an escrow account until the project is completed.
- IFreelance- is another great place to adventure to for writing jobs. You pay a monthly service fee and then you are granted the opportunity to bid on jobs according to your rating within the company. Again, your money put into escrow and you are paid at the completion of the job. You are not permitted to contact the client personally.
- vWorkers- the third type of writing employment opportunity is where you make a bid for the job, v-Workers adds a charge to the customer and then you pay a processing fee at the completion of the project. Your money is put into escrow and you are paid twice a month for all assignments completed and accepted by the client.
These are examples of the different types of places that you can use to find work as a freelance writer. The better your experience, hopefully the better your pay but there is no guarantee on what a client will offer to pay you for your services. The problem is that you get clients who offer a good rate for writing while others are not so generous. There are many websites that give you the opportunity to find clients, where you can write articles and earn money, but most all of them fall into one of the three basic categories:
- The first category is where you pay a monthly fee and place bids on jobs that you want to do.
- The second category is where you buy bid packets and place bids on the jobs that you want to do.
- The third category is where you let the company pay for your job and you just pay a processing fee.
Great New Opportunity for Freelance Writers- The Fourth Kind
Now there is a great new opportunity for freelance writers who want to work without it costing them too much for the writing jobs and they can contact the employer directly. The first job is found for writers through the website but afterwards, you can work directly with the client. There are no hidden fees or monthly charges. This new website, http://www.writers-emarket2day.com ,is exciting and it allows you to select the jobs that interest you. You pay a onetime yearly rate, which is very small amount.
Then you will be notified of all the available jobs and clients available so that you can have your bio sent to the client. There is no bidding on the jobs because the rate is preset which is something that most online article writing companies do not do. The writing jobs available are for articles, SEO Content, and Blogs. The rate set is always the same, “A Penny A Word” this might sound cheap but really it is not because a 400 word article pays $4 and the client is required to give you at least 12/400 word articles, 12/500 word articles or 10/600 word articles. The first assignment pays for your yearly fee. Afterwards, you can contact and remain working for the client or come back into the work pool and work for other clients.
This makes it very easy for you and the client. The client knows up front what they must pay and you know what you are going to get. This does not mean that you are stuck with this rate, after you have completed your first assignment and gotten paid you and the client can negotiate for other assignments a rate that you both find equitable. This is a very new concept for writers and clients that may prove invaluable for both. This is “The Fourth Kind” a way for you to find good writing jobs without paying out too much money.