Countless officials on both sides of the aisle have tried to explain this budget problem the government now finds itself in, and frankly I get confused every time I hear another pundit or politician open his or her mouth about the situation.
For months they have gone on and on about ceilings, taxes, retirement, social security, triple “A” ratings, default etc. OK I get it we are in trouble with money and we have to find a way out of it.
Now as a life long student of business and law (and part time idiot), I thought I had bought over the years (through many tuitions), a decent understanding of what the problem was or at least enough to fake it, but when the politicians and the talking heads start to spew babble about it using $50 dollar words that they bought from Harvard business school, that’s when me and my on again off again multiple college education (which includes a lot of community college), starts flickering on and off like a once bright bulb now near shorting out, and I want to rip my under wear off and throw it at the nearest politician. Of course some may call this an over reaction or accuse me of just wanting to do this all the time any way, no matter.
The problem is those words were created by a community who designed them for their own needs, and they mean very little to the rest of us, like ” tickle the greasy chicken has meaning to only a few of us ya know what i’m talkin about….” O.K it’s just me.
Not that we are not smart enough to understand, but we have not been privy to these terms in everyday life. So being a man who is educated enough to understand but still remembers the days that all this kind of talk was pure gibberish to me, let me attempt to add even more gibberish and make some sense of an easy to understand problem that has been made difficult by people who are either making money by keeping you confused about the problem or who wish to stay in power by making us believe they are the only ones who can solve it.
Basic truth —
- A. The U.S. has a credit card funded by the national economy, much like your home budget is funded by the many incomes supporting or funding it, things like parent’s salaries, kids babysitting, paper route money or what ever illegal and legal herbs we can grow in the window box, “know what I’m sayin”.
- B. We have been spending more than we take in Or like my grand daddy use to say “Like a love sick rooster going through a hen house” or as my nephew says “like a crack head buying cocaine laced scratch tickets”.
- For a long time we had an excess of money (like piggy bank money or under cushion cash, or “found money” like in the bottom of moms purse) but that it is almost gone.
- C. The debts we owe are mostly paid by monthly payments to things like Social Security, military, Medicare, and illegal international and domestic bribes etc., plus interest on borrowed money.
- D. In order to make our payments we borrow money from a broad but when she doesn’t have it we usually go to China. (who incidentally places a lot of their cash into American institutions for safe keeping and invests in American businesses like “Tasty freeze” and “Bubbas Big Butt Ribs” (yum). t
- E. For a long time the American government has made its payments on time and have enjoyed lower rates called Triple A rates with with lenders like China (paid less yang to get their yang), which is like the good credit rating you at home get by paying your bills on time, basically it costs us less to borrow because we are so good at paying our debts, or were.
Well we now are facing the possibility of missing our payment date or as you and I know it as “Oh sh*” hide the flat screen and the pickup”. Easy as sin to understand so far? O.K. here comes the weird part.
Usually when this has happened in the past, and it has happened on many occasions, the president and the congress have done something really bright or stupid (depends on where you are standing), instead of doing what we do when we over spend, (like choosing hamburger instead of steak, Ripple instead of champagne, putting back the seafood all together and stocking up on noodles ) they in Washington simply raise their spending limit which is called raising the debt ceiling but at home we would call it ” crazy crackhead logic”.
Well the money magic act is catching up to us and the high of over spending is sadly wearing off now we are called to stand and face the music but not from the banks taking our house or the creditors finding our new truck we parked at an old friend’s house to avoid repossession.
This time we are being put into a state of panic by politicians on both sides of the isle to fear our situation like it was dooms day, when the fact is a pen stroke would solve it for now. Why would those fine men and women we stood in the cold pouring rain to elect do this to us you ask?
The fact of the matter is next year is an election year and as Christmas keeps coming earlier and earlier so does the political posturing that accompany every election cycle even one as far away as November 2012.
Now another problem has been inflated to a much larger one and become a huge artificial crisis. But the political powers that be may have started a house of cards to fall that may have serious ramifications on their own jobs, not so much ours this time.
Many are putting much on the line, speaker of the house Boehner, is taking a chance on losing credibility with the “Bad Mathonomics” of his first rushed solution and president Obama who hasn’t put forth a plan as of yet or walked on water in months, is risking his re-election hopes as this threatens to drag on into next year with a short term fix that will keep it riding his back like a starving monkey to a man wearing a back pack filled with bananas till election day.
Here’s what will happen:
- 1. The debt ceiling will be raised and our bills will be paid.
- 2. The republicans will not let the president off the hook, so any solution will be relatively short term.
- 3. Checks will go out as usual.
- 4. This will occur because any one who allows seniors, the handicap, soldiers and children to be put in crisis can kiss their political careers goodbye.
- Remember all it takes is a pen stroke and that is what will happen.
-no monkeys were injured during the writing of this article-