If you are having problems with your teeth that are affecting your self image you may want to consider seeing a cosmetic dentist. Now depending on what your problem is, the issue may be able to be handled by your local dentist or you may require a dental specialist. Beware that most cosmetic dental procedures are not covered by a basic insurance plan, so inform yourself about what your policy offers or be prepared for some out of pocket expenses.
When you begin to look into cosmetic dentistry, you will find that there are about 8 categories that dentist can fall into. Here a brief overview of those categories:
– Oral pathologist are dental researchers. They study and create procedures that target diseases of the mouth.
– Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons handle a wide range of diseases. These type of surgeons not only work on the mouth but the areas that are most closely affected with oral health issues such as the jaw, neck, head, and face. This is a specialty and takes extended years of study and training.
– Endodontist is the type of dentist that focuses on prevention, diagnosis and treatment of issues that involve the interior of the tooth, one of the most common procedures they perform is a root canal.
– An orthodontist has a focus of improving the overall appearance and functioning of the teeth. This includes straightening out crooked teeth or replacing missing teeth.
– A prosthodontist is a dentist that specializes in replacing missing teeth such as with dentures, bridges or implants.
– A pediatric dentist is public health dentist, but they specialize in dental care for children.
– Periodontist specialize on the gums and bones that support the teeth. They have to undergo additional years of training for this specialty.
– A public health or general dentist is one who serves a large population in general overall oral health issues.
Now depending on the type of cosmetic dentistry you are needing done, the work may be able to be preformed by your general dentist or he/she may refer you to a specialist of some sort.
Some common cosmetic dental services:
Repair of distorted teeth
When selecting a dentist to perform cosmetic dentistry consider these following these tips:
Check their credentials
Get references concerning their work
Go in for an interview or evaluation before any procedure is done
Consider a second opinion if there proposed solution seems extreme
A good dentist should be able to fully and simply explain to you what the proposed procedure will be like, any discomfort you will experience, and time limit before you can have full functioning of the tooth or area.
Sources: American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry