Coffee Filters are inexpensive and can be used for many things, not just for coffee pots! And believe me, I did not come up with these myself. These were all suggestions from family, friends, acquaintances, and email blasts.
Coffee filters can be bought at some Dollar Stores or Dollar Tree’s, and there can be a thousand coffee filters in one pack. Below find a list of great things you can do with coffee filters. It will save you money and time. (If you spend a little more money, you can also buy recycled or biodegradable coffee filters.)
1. Some dishes require yo to cover them when cooking in the microwave. Coffee filters make excellent covers.
2. If you don’t have a newspaper laying around, instead of wasting paper towels (which cost more and have less on a roll), clean windows, mirrors, and chrome… Coffee filters are lint-free so they’ll leave the windows sparkling.
3. You can protect your good China dishes and cup by separating your them with a coffee filter between each one.
4. Can’t find your strainer?Use a coffee filter to strain soup stock.
5. A coffee filter can be used to tie fresh herbs in to put in soups and stews.
6. Use a coffee filter to prevent spilling when you add fluids to your car.
7. Spoon rest in the dish washer? Use a coffee filter to rest your spoon or spatula on while you cook, as well as clean up small counter splatters and spills.
8. Every open a bottle of wine (that had a real cork in it) and part of the cork fell into the bottle into the wine? Use a filter when pouring the wine to catch the pieces.
9. A great way to protect a cast-iron skillet is by placing a coffee filter inside the skillet to absorb moisture and prevent rust.
10. Since the coffee filter is lint-free, ball it up and use it to apply shoe polish.
11. Recycle frying oil. After frying, strain oil through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.
12. Are you on Weight Watchers? Do you weigh certain, solid foods. Place ingredients in a coffee filter, to keep them together, on a kitchen scale.
13. Instead of wasting a napkin, use coffee filters as convenient wrappers for messy foods such as Tacos.
14. Stop the soil from leaking out of a plant pot by lining the pot with a coffee filter to prevent the soil from going through the drainage holes.
15. Use a coffee filter to remove fingernail polish when out of cotton balls, or you can’t find one which happens to me all the time!
16. I have heard you can use a coffee filter to sprout seeds. Dampen the coffee filter, place seeds inside, fold it and place it into a plastic baggie (somewhere sunny I assume) until they sprout.
17. Use a coffee filter as a disposable “snack bowl” for popcorn, chips, etc. so you are not constantly washing the kids dishes over and over.
18. This is great for the kids, and I know it would help mine. You can prevent a Popsicle from dripping too much by poking one or two holes as needed in a coffee filter to catch the drips.
19. I have a friend who cuts the coffee filters into strips and used them when she waxes her eyebrows and such.
20. Coffee filters make great soakers. Put a few in a plate and put your fried bacon, French fries, chicken fingers, etc on them. It soaks out all the grease.
21. You could keep some in the bathroom because they make great “razor nick fixers” for men or women.
22. I thought this was really smart. You can put baking soda (which gets rid of odor) into a coffee filter and insert into shoes or a closet to absorb or prevent odors from occurring.
23. In a pinch, you can use a coffee filter to wrap Christmas ornaments for storage.
24. If you need to pack something fragile to mail, you can use coffee filters to wrap the item in when you don’t have plastic bubbles or Styrofoam peanuts.
25. Can’t find your scooper for the cat box and don’t want to use your hands? Sounds gross, but grab two coffee filters, layered together, and use it to pick up the clumped litter.
Going Green For Cheap