Jessica Simpson and Ali Fedotowsky are the latest celebrities to announce they may want to elope. Simpson tells UsMagazine.com, “No date has been set yet. We’ve both been married before. We’re enjoying our commitment to each other. We want to take our time. I will be part of designing my own wedding gown. We might elope if it gets to that point.”
The Bachelorette couple Ali Fedotowsky and Roberto Martinez would like to be married sooner rather than later. “I think I would do just that,” Fedotowsky tells People.com about eloping. “Obviously we want to share it with our family, so we’re not going to do that.”
Here is a look at some of the most memorable stars who eloped. Surprisingly, some marriages have lasted. Not surprisingly, many have not.
1. Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos: According to Aisledash.com, Ripa and Consuelos met as co-stars on the soap All My Children in 1995 and eloped in 1996. The stars went on to have three children and are still happily married.
2. Angelina Jolie and Billy Bob Thornton: The two met while filming the movie Pushing Tin. Eyebrows were raised when Jolie and Thornton wed in Las Vegas in 2000. This was Billy Bob Thornton’s fifth marriage, and Angelina Jolie was 20 years younger than Thornton. The couple is infamous for wearing a vial of each others blood around their necks. Not surprisingly, the marriage ended in divorce in 2002 (imdb.com).
3. Britney Spears and Jason Alexander: The world was shocked in 2004 when Britney Spears wed her high school boyfriend Jason Alexander in Vegas. Before you could say “divorce” the quickie union was annulled (foxnews.com).
4. Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon: They were another couple who surprisingly married in April 2008, who had only been dating for a couple of months. According to mtv.com they fell for each other while Cannon was in Carey’s music video for “Bye Bye”. The couple is still blissfully married and expecting twins in April 2011 (accesshollywood.com).
5. Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt: The Hills fans saw Heidi and Spencer exchange quickie nuptials while on vacation in Cabs San Lucas, Mexico in 2008. Although, the marriage was never official in court until they had a ceremony the following year in Pasadena, California (mtv.com). With rumors buzzing the wedding was a publicity stunt, Montag filed for divorce last year, but the pair has since reunited.
These are just five celebrity couples out of many that have eloped. Whether the marriages live happily ever after, end in divorce, or are just a publicity stunt, they all make a good entertainment news story.
“Jessica Simpson: Fiance and I ‘Might Elope'” www.usmagazine.com
“Bachelorette Star Ali: Roberto and I Want to Elope” www.people.com
“Celebrity Weddings, Las Vegas: Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos” www.aisledash.com
“Angelina Jolie-Biography” www.imdb.com
“Famous Couples Who Eloped” www.foxnews.com
Gil Kaufman. “Mariah Carey, Nick Cannon Make First Public Appearance As Married Couple; Talk Wedding, Tattoos” www.mtv.com
“Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon Having Twins” www.accesshollywood.com
“Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt Talk Wedding, Heidi’s ‘Sex Ed’ Performance” www.mtv.com