When spring rolls around there is just something in the air that yells “Clean,” and for most of us we begrudgingly answer the call in the best way we know how. For many, cleaning out your car is completely unnecessary, the thing is as clean as it was the day you bought it, for others, you aren’t even sure if your car has a floor board anymore. There are some easy ways to get your car clean and spring ready and keep it that way.
1. Gather up unnecessary clutter- This doesn’t just mean garbage, it means bags, cups, lids, clothes, toys, mail, and whatever else may have made its way to your car over the past few months of winter weather. This also means that if you keep spare mittens or other winter accoutrements you should take them in the house for storage as well. De-cluttering is a great way to clear your mind and your personal space.
2. Clean out your air conditioning/heating vents- I know this seems a little specific but with summer right around the bend you only have so many days that you can roll the windows down without being pelted by air that feels like it has come straight from the equator. Cleaning out vents and perhaps adding a nice air freshener to them makes it easy to cut down on getting dust accumulations and strange smells into your car when it is time to roll up the windows and crank up the A/C.
3. All over car wash- Odds are you have had a basic handle on the salt situation through the winter months but now is the time that you should really get your elbow grease working. Warm weather is the perfect time to pull out the garden hose and really scrub those hard to reach areas that have been collecting salt all winter. Leaving salt on your car can damage the exterior and even some interior parts so getting rid of it is a must.
4. Vacuum/sweep your carpet and mats- The winter months are filled with days where you run as fast as you can to your car and jump in without bothering to dust off your feet. Salt, rocks, dirt, and even some water stains likely litter your mats and carpets making them musty and unattractive. If you take the time to wash them or sweep them you can get rid of all the winter detritus that has piled up on them over the months. Try giving your seats a sweep or vacuum while you are at it.
5. Keep a “trash” bag in your car- This last tip is more for maintaining your clean car. Keep a small grocery bag or even a small trash bag in your car so that you can keep any trash accumulations to a minimum. If you keep all the trash in one place you can easily take it in with you when you get home or to your destination to keep your car clean and habitable.
The most important thing to remember is that it is not hard to get your car clean, it is the maintenance of that hard work that is key. If you make sure to keep your trash and miscellany under control you can easily keep your car clean.