With the weather getting warmer in almost all areas people are thinking about pulling out the grill if they haven’t already. Excitement is in the air just thinking about another season of grilling, parties and bar-b-ques. And what goes better with most food cooked outdoors on a grill? Beans of course! They are perfect with hot dogs, burgers or even steaks. Beans alone are somewhat plain. Adding a few ingredients and a flavorful addition of bacon always perks them up. A taste that is satisfying to everyone enjoying dining outdoors with the main course cooked to perfection on the family grill.
Plan your meal out and adjust the times and enjoy your meal outdoors. The preparation time is relatively short. Just allow an hour cooking time so that these beans will be ready at the same time the grilling guru is done.
Party, BBQ or ordinary weekend meal ingredients can be picked up easily at the local Winona SuperValu supermarket. Make your shopping list and hurry home to a family gathering on the patio with deliciously grilled foods and some awesome bacon baked beans on the side.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans of pork and beans with a tomato sauce base
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- ½ cup of ketchup
- ½ a yellow onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ pound of bacon
- 1 teaspoon of spicy mustard
- ¼ teaspoon of crushed red pepper
1. In a large frying pan cook the bacon until crisp. Place bacon strips on a paper towel to drain and cool.
2. Lightly grease a baking pan with a cooking spray of your choice. Then add the canned beans into the baking pan.
3. In a medium sized bowl blend together the brown sugar, ketchup, spicy mustard, garlic powder and red pepper.
4. Pour remaining bacon fat off but do not wipe the frying pan out. A slight coating of bacon fat will remain.
5. In the same pan with the bacon drippings add the chopped onion and cook until the onion becomes translucent and soft.
6. Crumble the bacon over the beans.
7. Add the cooked onions to the ketchup mixture and stir.
8. Then pour the ketchup mixture over the beans.
9. Now gently fold the sauce into the beans.
10. Once everything is mixed place the uncovered pan in the oven and bake for 1 hour.
11. The bacon baked beans are ready to join the party.
- These beans will also go well with chicken, spare ribs, veggie burgers or grilled Portobello mushrooms.
- Add a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup to charge up the flavors a little more.