Abduction in Texas

January 6, 1995 was a beautiful day. The sky was a clear blue with no clouds. The temperature was really pleasant for a south Texas January day, and it was Friday; otherwise known as payday. I couldn’t be happier.

I was off work that day, had some plans that involved shopping and lunch with my mom. My car was broke down like a joke, so she came to pick me up and take me by my job so I could pick up and cash my check.

“Well, don’t take all day, Shelly!” she said. I grumbled out some smart-alec answer, but grabbed my purse and headed out to her car.

I’m not a morning person by anyone’s standard so rising before noon generally leaves me grumpy, which is why I work late afternoons and nights. As I leaned my head on the passenger side window, I watched the sky through slitted eyes.

About half a mile from my apartment, I noticed a weird reflection in the glass. I figured it must be a couple of F-15’s from the nearby air base. They often fly over my little town. I turned my head to the right and what I saw scared me to death!

“Mom! Oh my God, Mom! Look!” I shouted these words as I stared at two stationary objects hovering over the field.

My mom nearly drove off the road as she craned her neck around to see.

“What the heck is that? What is that?” she screamed.

“Turn the car around, and go back!” I said.

“No way!”

“Mom, turn the car around and go back!” I said again.

Curiosity got the better of her and she pulled a U-turn. We came back around and parked on the side of the road.

Not thinking about the possible consequences, we both got out and walked over to the fencing surrounding the cow field.

Hovering above the rows of dry grass were two oval-shaped crafts. They were huge; at least the size of a football field each! There were no windows, no markings of any kind on them. They were so still, they looked as if someone had painted them there against the blue sky.

The silence was the most frightening part of the experience. How could two such huge crafts be sitting so still in the winter sky without making a single sound?

Both of our mouths hung open as we stood and stared.

Without warning, the one on the left shot straight up with amazing speed and was gone in a split second!

“Holy cow! Did you see that?” I asked.

Just then, the one on the right began to slowly move away from us into the distance, then it, too, shot straight up and was out of sight!

“What was that? Are they UFO’s? ” my mom asked.

“I don’t know. We should call someone.”

“Who are your gonna call? No one will believe you!” she pointed out.

“But you saw it, too, mom! It’s not like I’m all alone here. We can call the base.”

“No way! I’m not having people think I’m crazy. Just get in the car. Let’s get out of here.” She turned and walked back to the car.

“Mom, we have to tell someone! This is too close to my apartment. I don’t want to go back home tonight and be alone thinking about these things out here.”

“What do you think anyone can do about it if you call someone? What we just saw wasn’t some military airplanes!”

“I don’t know, mom. I’m just scared, okay?”

We got into the car and headed off to my job once again. All the way there, we kept going over and over what we’d just witnessed.

When we got to Builder’s Emporium, I got out and walked in to the personnel office to pick up my paycheck. I wanted to tell my co-workers, but didn’t know how to bring up the subject without sounding like a lunatic. I suddenly felt tired, drained. My mouth was dry, and my vision was a little foggy. Must be adrenaline withdrawal.

I opened the door to Human Resources and saw Letty sitting at her desk. “Hey, Letty”, I said, walking towards her. “Are paychecks ready?”

She looked at me oddly. “Sure, they were ready yesterday.”

“Yesterday? Since when did they start issuing paychecks on a Thursday?” I asked.

Letty laughed. “Shelly, you need to go back to bed, girl. Today is Saturday!”

I blinked. “What? What are you talking about? Today is Friday?”

Letty stopped laughing and her face became serious. “Hon, today is Saturday!” (She said the day of the week slowly as if I were non-English speaking).

I looked at her face to see if she was joking. She didn’t look like she was joking. I looked down at the newspaper on her desk.

The date read, Saturday, January 7, 1995!