The Paleo Diet is based on the philosophy of eating food that is directly from nature ‘” no processing involved. The Paleo Diet is high in protein and low in carbs and refined sugars and includes foods that we find in nature such as fresh herbs, fruit, vegetables and meat and fish. The current western diet packed with processed foods, refined sugars and genetically modified foods has had a disastrous effect on our health and has weighed us down with modern diseases such as diabetes, auto-immune diseases, obesity, hypertension and heart disease. We have become detached from our food source; following the Paleo Diet brings us back. Dining alfresco fits perfectly with this food theory because of the ease in grilling and the abundance of fresh food at farmers markets this time of year. For your Paleo Diet dinner party here are few guidelines to follow for dining success.
· Choose from different meat and fish items to grill such as chicken or halibut and salmon.
· Marinate the chicken or fish in a mix of lemon juice, mustard, extra virgin olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper.
· Cut up a variety of vegetables that grill well such as asparagus, zucchini and red pepper and marinate these as well in a mixture of lemon juice and olive oil
· Add carbs to this meal plan with a serving of sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are an incredible source of vitamin B6, beta-carotene and potassium. Be sure to peel the potatoes, slice into wedges and lightly coat with olive oil. For additional flavor season with salt and pepper and herbs such as thyme or rosemary. Bake in a single layer in the oven for about 40 minutes and serve immediately or wrap in foil and thrown on the grill for 30 or 40 minutes.
· Serve up a salad of heirloom tomatoes lightly dressed with olive oil, a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Add finely chopped basil and you have a simple salad loaded with the flavors of summer.
· Throw a sprig of mint or a few lemon slices into a pitcher of cold water and place it in the center of the table. You have a refreshing drink without added sugars that you get in soft drinks or juice.
· The Paleo Diet does not mean you have to pass up dessert. Make ice cream from coconut milk, fresh vanilla beans and eggs. Follow this link from Paleo Diet Lifestyle for the recipe. Add honey or agave nectar for additional sweetness.
· Alcoholic drinks are harder to find in the Paleo Diet but beer and wine are minimally processed so making an exception with these items is perfectly acceptable.