In 2001, the names Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint were a far cry from the household names they are today. The stars of the hugely popular Harry Potter film series were a group of young actors looking for their first break. Now with the eighth and final Harry Potter movie, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2,” being released Friday, the trio of British actors find themselves in a much different boat than they were just 10 years ago. Read on for a look at the Harry Potter stars before they caught their big break.
Here is a look back at the humble beginnings of these major stars in the making:
* Daniel Radcliffe, the actor who plays Harry Potter, had a few minor successes before being cast in the pivotal role of the series. Radcliffe was cast in Charles Dickens’ “David Copperfield” and he also had a bit part in “The Tailor of Panama.”
* Emma Watson, the talented actress who portrays Hermione Granger in the Potter series, had very little acting experience before being cast as Harry’s bookish school friend. It is reported that Watson performed well in several school plays and word was passed on to the talent agency that was responsible for casting “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.”
* Rupert Grint, who portrays Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter series, had no serious acting experience prior to being cast in the movies. It is reported that Grint was a fan of the book series and answered a casting call where he performed a rap promoting himself for the role of Ron.
* Tom Felton, the actor who plays Draco Malfoy, had a few small successes before being cast, according to Access Hollywood. Felton landed parts in a few motion pictures, including roles in “The Borrowers” and “Anna and the King.”
* Matthew Lewis, the actor who portrays Neville Longbottom, had some success prior to being cast in the Harry Potter film series. Lewis was in several TV shows, including “Heartbeat,” “Where the Heart is” and “Dalziel and Pascoe.” Lewis was also cast in one movie prior to the film series, where he played the bit part of Jonathan Taylor in the 1995 movie “Some Kind of Life.”
* James and Oliver Phelps are the actors who portray the Weasley twins, Fred and George. Prior to being cast in the Harry Potter series, they had no major acting experience but soon found that they fit in with their roles as the precocious and fun-loving twins very well.
* Another actress who had no acting experience before she accepted a role in the Harry Potter film franchise is Bonnie Wright. Wright portrays the youngest Weasley child, Ginny.
* Devon Murray, the actor who portrays Seamus Finnegan, has been in front of the cameras since he was 6 years old in various commercials and movies. Murray’s acting career began at the age of 6, when he was featured in a Tesco commercial. Murray also appeared in several movies, including “This is My Father,” “Angela’s Ashes” and “Yesterday’s Children.”