So you’re done with school for a few months? Here are eight things you can do to make it a worthwhile summer.
1. Plan a few trips to the beach. What’s a summer without the beach, right? Get a few friends together that can all pitch in on gas and head out to the nearest beach. Do a bit of research to find the best places to pitch your umbrella and park your car. Also use the trip to try out a new restaurant. Skip the fast-food and chain restaurants you can go to at home and try something different!
2. If you don’t already have a job, look into summer employment. Use some online resources like Craigslist to find some of the many businesses that are looking for part-time help during the busy summer season. It’s a great way to earn some cash and gain some work experience while you’re at it!
3. Start a vegetable garden. No worries if you missed the spring planting season, go down to your local garden center and pick up some peppers, tomatoes, or anything else you might like. Once you’re all done growing your beautiful plants you can pick them and throw them on the grill for a delicious addition to your summer grilling!
4. Go see a concert. There are always plenty of concerts going on during the summer. Check out a website like Stubhub to see if there is anyone playing in your area. Get a few interested friends together and head on out for a summer night of music!
5. Go exploring! Try researching some new places online that are near you for you to explore. There might be some great outdoor parks and preserves that allow hiking or camping near you that you never knew about!
6. Get into “Summer Shape”. Try a new exercise routine that will allow you to not only get in shape, but also enjoy some sunshine while you’re at it. Do a quick online search for some routines that you might be interested in, whether it be to bulk up or maybe just shed a few pounds. The time off for the summer is the perfect reason to start it up, no excuses!
7. Pick out a couple of books to read for the summer. Summers bring a lot of great weather but also some thunderstorms to go with it. What better way to use this indoor time to do a bit of reading? It’s also important to keep your brain sharp over the summer, so pick up a couple of books!
8. Get some pick-up games going! Summer is a great time to get some regular pick-up games of basketball, softball, or flag football organized. Have a group of your friends meet up a few times a week to play a few games. Social networks are a great tool to send the word out and get more participation!
There’s no reason to spend the entire summer cooped up in doors. Get outside and enjoy life!