If summertime means road trips and long flights are on the agenda, make sure your skin stays in great shape in the heat and humidity. You’ll need to well-prepared for any beauty dilemmas when you hit the road or catch that next flight. Whether you’re traveling across the state or to an entirely different part of the country, you’ll need to pack light but pack right. Just a handful of beauty essentials are all you need for those long days and nights on the road.
Use these six essential beauty tips when you’re hitting the road or flying this summer:
1. Pack a moisturizing face mask. Travel-size versions of your favorite hydrating mask or even a single-use facial masque that comes in a pouch are great for refreshing your skin after a long day of traveling. Take a couple of these travel-friendly skincare products with you for a quick-fix spa treatment on the road.
2. Stock up on tinted moisturizer. If you don’t have time to put on a layer of foundation or simply want a more natural look this summer, stick with the tinted moisturizer. A small tube of tinted moisturizer will last for at least a week and is a super-portable beauty must-have for travelers.
3. Use waterproof mascara. Regular mascara can dry out and get clumpy in hot and humid climates. If you insist on wearing mascara, stick with the waterproof variety and choose a high-quality brand that won’t get leave clumps on your lashes or run in humid weather.
4. Pack waterless shampoo. If you won’t be able to shower for 24 hours or more, use a waterless or “no rinse” shampoo to keep your hair fresh and clean. These shampoos come in a variety of scents and are great for freshening up after a redeye flight or in the middle of a long road trip.
5. Layer on the sun protection. Most makeup products only contain SPF 15 (if any sunscreen) so make sure you’re wearing a layer of SPF 30 under makeup or at least on your skin for most of the day. It’s easy to forget sunscreen when you’re on the road, but it’s important on both sunny and non-sunny days.
6. Use silicone serum to keep frizz under control. If you’re traveling to a humid climate or your hair tends to get frizzy the moment you step outdoors, use a silicone serum or frizz-fighting gel to keep those tresses smooth and shiny. You can apply a small amount of this through your hair anytime your hair needs a little refresher.
Packing a few basics will help to stave off unsightly blemishes and breakouts, protect your skin from sun damage and keep you looking picture over the course of your trip. Use these seven tips to pack the right products for your summer travels.
More content from this contributor:
Five Easy Mascara Tricks for Bigger, Fuller Lashes
5 Foods for Shiny Hair and Beautiful Nails
8 Good Reasons to Get Up Earlier