The 2012 World Choir Games will be held in Cincinnati, Ohio and will be the first time in history that the United States will be playing host to the event. If you do have the opportunity to attend the 2012 World Choir Games in Cincinnati, you can look forward to dozens of performances, concerts, and educational events where you’ll learn about musical traditions from around the globe. Fans can also keep up with the competitions and see pictures of the event on Facebook.
About the 2012 World Choir Games
With more than 220,000 participants, the World Choir Games continue to be one of the most inspiring music and signing events in the world, bringing together choir singers from around the globe in a peaceful and friendly competition. The event officially begins on July 4, 2012 with a parade and opening ceremony that includes fireworks. It ends on July 14 with award ceremonies, Champions concerts, friendship concerts, and the “We are the World” Closing Event.
The 2012 World Choir Games attracts approximately 5,000 choirs from more than 90 countries each year, according to CincinnatiUSA.com. The World Choir Games are open to all amateur choirs of the world, and include The Champions Competition, The Open Competition, a Non-Competitive Evaluation, and festival performances. The International Friendship Concerts provides each choir the opportunity to present musical numbers from their native land, and also includes dance performances with traditional costumes.
Fans and attendees of the World Choir Games can keep up with the latest updates of the event on the official 2012 World Choir Games in Cincnnati Facebook page, and also follow the World Choir Games on Twitter @WorldChoirGames.
Highlights of the 2012 World Choir Games
The first part of the World Choir Games runs from July 4 to July 8. July 9 is reserved as a day off for all participants. The second part of the World Choir Games runs from July 10 to July 14.
Some of the key events and activities scheduled during the 2012 World Choir Games include:
– Parade on opening day
– The Open Competition – designed for all singers of any artistic level of achievement in 18 categories, including Gospel, Spiritual, Barbershop, Mixed Choir and Folklore
– The Champions Competition – designed for choirs that have international competitive experience and have already proven their skills and talents at concerts and other international choral competitions. This event has 23 categories, including Music of the Religions, Children’s Choirs, Scenic Folklore, Jazz and Show Choirs
– Celebration concerts throughout the week
– Educational seminars and workshops
– Meetings at the center of the World Choir Games with panel discussions, talks, and live entertainment
– “We are the World” Closing Event
As of April 2011, the only venue that has been finalized for this event is the Duke Energy Convention Center. Other venues including churches and performance halls around Cincinnati are still under consideration.
CincinnatiUSA.com: 2012 World Choir Games
2012 World Choir Games in Cincinnati on Facebook
2010 World Choir Games – Program of Events