Everybody has heard the old saying that “you only have one chance to make a first impression.” Well it’s definitely true. You want to make sure that the impression you are giving is the right one. The fact of the matter is; most women decide if they like a man within the first 30 seconds of meeting them, which doesn’t leave much time to charm her with your winning personality.
When it comes to bad fashion ideas for men, it seems as if some of the worst fashion crimes have been around since the dark ages. It is as if these bad habits are being passed down from father to son, generation to generation, in a vicious cycle of fashion faux pas. Women all over America have tirelessly taken on the grim task of trying to rewire the male mind when it comes to what clothes the men in their lives put on their bodies. Yet many guys still remain in the dark when it comes to what to wear without looking foolish on a daily basis.
No one is suggesting that most guys require an “extreme makeover” or to have a full lifestyle overhaul, but incorporating a few of the tips below will help to keep most men from making a fatal fashion mistake that can have you losing the battle before you’re even out the door.
- Ed Hardy T-Shirts. This is somewhat of a newcomer to the game of “Fashion Dos and Fashion Don’ts” for guys, but it has gained massive popularity as something NOT to wear if you are a guy who wants to impress the ladies. I know; it seems hard to believe that overpriced T-shits that feature tattoo art of dragons, skulls and snakes wrapped around hearts don’t really do it for most of the female population.
- Speedos . This is one of those fashion nightmares that literally keeps rearing its ugly head year after year. No matter how you look at it, Speedos are a bad idea 100 percen of the time for 100% of the male population. Unless you are trying out for the USA Olympic team, or starring in an all male revue at Chippendales — don’t even go there.
- White Socks with Black Shoes or Any Socks with Sandals. Honestly, I could write an entire book on the mistakes men make with socks. For the sake of brevity, I will stick to the two major main offenders, or should I say re-offenders as men have been making this mistake for decades. To be perfectly clear, dark shoes, require dark socks. Period! There is never an occasion when it’s OK to slip on a pair of beige socks with black pants and black dress shoes. For all you guys out there who think that no one will notice; I am here to burst that bubble. Women notice, all the time — . and we never fail to comment on it, and I mean comment negatively. As far as socks with sandals go — .just don’t do it. If you are that worried about getting cold feet, wet feet or dirty feet, wear closed shoes or just stay home.
- Black Sneakers or Tennis Shoes CANNOT Be Worn as Dress Shoes. I know how tempting this one can be. On the surface, it even seems to make sense. It can seem down right logical to wear a black suit, black socks and black sneakers, but just because the colors match does not mean the outfit works. Unless you are just waking up from a coma that you fell into during the l980s when the T-shirt tuxedo was popular, or you just arrived on planet earth from an alternate reality, it has never been OK to wear a suit and sneakers.
- Wrinkled Clothes. If your clothes look like you just rolled out of bed in them, or you pulled them from a under a crumpled pile of laundry laying on the floor, then it probably shouldn’t be your first choice of what to wear when heading out the door to meet with that special lady. I know most of you have heard of irons, and if you have an allergy to them, then that’s what the dry cleaner is for. Believe it or not, you can take your clean clothes to the dry cleaner just for ironing if you want. It does not matter if you do it yourself, or if you have the dry cleaner do it for you, as the Nike slogan goes “Just Do It.” Get it done, because dressing like a slob is not sexy, cute or cool.
- Short Sleeves with a Tie. Does this really have to be stated? Unless you’re a Mormon going door to door spreading “the word” or enrolled full-time in a British private school or academy, there is never going to be a good reason to wear a short-sleeved shirt with a tie. This also goes for wearing a short-sleeve shirt under your suit. Short sleeve shirts are only used with Khakis or casual wear, and never, ever can you fancy them up with a tie.
- The Comb-Over. Yeah! Everybody’s favorite! Male pattern baldness is a no day at the park, but the first step is admitting that you have a hair-loss problem. I won’t even joke about this because the problem is indiscriminate, rampant and insidious. There is no reason to suffer needlessly for years and remain a victim. The answer is not in a pill, a cream, a surgeon’s office, or in a spray can. The answer is a razor. Shave it off for God’s sake. All women prefer a sexy bald head to a Donald Trump comb-over, unless you have Donald Trump money. A bald head is a great look on guys of all ages and it is often the quickest and easiest thing a balding guy can do to improve confidence and jump-start his love life.
- Hats. I know, some guys will want to disagree with me on this one, but hats often become crutches for men and excuses not to comb their hair. Ski hats in the summer just make you look foolish, and unless you are a cowboy or going to a rodeo; cowboy hats are downright comical. Believe it or not, baseball hats are not a replacement for a hairbrush. Hats don’t even work out well if you are wearing them to try and cover up hair loss because eventually the hat has to come off and your secret is revealed. There are exceptions to the rule and sometimes the right hat can really make an outfit, but generally speaking this is an area best left alone.
- Clothes That Don’t Fit. OK, let me break it down — if your clothes are too baggy, too tight, too short, too long and basically look like they don’t fit your body, then why are you wearing them? Most American men shop off the rack, but your clothes shouldn’t look like you raided someone else’s closet. There are such things as alterations and tailors. Another tip, try on your clothes before you buy them (That is what the dressing rooms at the store are for!), all size 32s are not created equally. Nothing looks or feels better than well-fitting clothes, and it is easy and economical to overhaul your current wardrobe, just by getting your clothes altered by a tailor to fit your body properly.
- Gold Teeth or Platinum Teeth Time for a quick reality check. Unless you are going to a costume party, the answer to the question “should I, or shouldn’t I get gold teeth?” is a no-brainer. Trust me, even those hip hop guys in the videos use removable gold teeth. Gold teeth are NOT a status symbol and anybody with any real “status” would agree.
Most women know that by adhering to just a few of these fashion rules, most guys can avoid embarrassment, harassment, public humiliation and being laughed at in the face or indirectly behind the back. Hopefully the lessons learned here will not only help you avoid being ostracized socially by the opposite sex, but hopefully they may even help you attract the right type of attention from the opposite sex.